Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Twilight Struggle

With the weight of the free world on my shoulders I ventured to fight communism where it stood strongest...my dining room. Having owned the game for months now, and yet to play, the rare opportunity to sit down and have a 2 player gaming session was a treat. And 3 games at that! The first 2 games went rather quickly with card play deciding the victor. Game one didn't exit the early war stage with a communist victory.

Game 2 showed that carefully selected headlines can win a game with the US dropping the Defcon to 2 and USSR choosing to host the Olympics, which in effect lowered the Defcon to 1 starting a nuclear war thus ending the game for a US victory.


With 2 games finishing rather quickly and us barely getting into the mid war phase on only one game we chose a tie breaker. With that last game going about 3 hours we saw the full force of what is Twilight Struggle. Stress and sweat were abundant as the game wore on. USSR pulled out a victory in the end but we did make it to the late war stage. I was handed a set of cards which did nothing but give USSR Europe and there was little I could do to prevent it try as I might.

Looking back we have realized a few rules were played wrong mainly the scoring and a few select ways we played the cards. Next game should prove more enjoyable and stressful as we now comprehend the game more. Going into the game I mentioned it would take about 3 games under our belt to fully enjoy this game getting past it's learning curve. I can't wait till game #04!

No comments: